03 April 2011

My own designs.

From using what I have found so far, I have created some of my own designs.

I drew this image using soft chalk pastels. i started by creating some abstract flowers for the background and then added bold black lines to create the shape of a figure. I enjoyed doing this piece of work, however i dont think the background and the drawing work well together. This was an experimentation with a different media, I have decided that I dont want to develop this technique any further.





This is the first image I created using acrylic paints. I am pleased with my choice of medium because it has given a bold effect, however I would like the detail to be more intricate and neat. This image reminds me of the work of Henri Matisse and his paper cuts.


Henri Matisse


      Henri Matisse was a French artist well known for his use of colour and his originality. During the last fifteen years of his life, he developed his last artistic 'triumph' by 'cutting into colour'.  His technique involved cutting free hand into coloured paper creating beautiful shapes which he then pinned to the studio walls. 



     Henri Matisses work pushed the boundaries of conventional painting, drawing and sculpture.  Later, the cut outs were glued onto large white pieces of paper for shipping or display.  I like Matisses cut out because I think they look quite abstract and colourful. By looking at his work it has inspired me to create some of my own paper cuts based on pregnant figures and some intricate pattern designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment